★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 1 box
- french vanilla cake mix
- 1 qt
- fresh strawberries (hulled and cut)
- 3-4 Tbsp
- 1 c
- strawberry preserves (or jam)
- 8 oz
- cool whip, thawed (regular, light or fat free)
- 1 can(s)
- whipped vanilla frosting (duncan hines)
How to Make Strawberry Shortcake-Cake
- 1Bake cake according to directions. Using two round cake pans. Cool completely.
- 2While cake is baking, add sugar to fresh strawberries, mash, cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- 3Combine cool whip and frosting, mix well and refrigerate until ready to use.
- 4Once cooled, cut the top of one cake layer to level it, slice second cake in half and level top if needed. (you should have three layers of cake now)
- 5Place first thicker cake layer on cake plate and top with thin layer of frosting mixture.
- 6Layer mashed strawberries over frosting (reserve 3 Tbsp)
- 7Add next layer of cake, spread evenly with strawberry preserves.
- 8Top with last layer of cake, frost completely (you may have frosting left over--there is a lot)
- 9Add remaining mashed strawberries in the center on the top. May want to garnish with whole strawberries.