★★★★★ 1 vote5
1 boxfrench vanilla cake mix
1 qtfresh strawberries (hulled and cut)
1 cstrawberry preserves (or jam)
8 ozcool whip, thawed (regular, light or fat free)
1 can(s)whipped vanilla frosting (duncan hines)
How to Make Strawberry Shortcake-Cake
- Bake cake according to directions. Using two round cake pans. Cool completely.
- While cake is baking, add sugar to fresh strawberries, mash, cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Combine cool whip and frosting, mix well and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Once cooled, cut the top of one cake layer to level it, slice second cake in half and level top if needed. (you should have three layers of cake now)
- Place first thicker cake layer on cake plate and top with thin layer of frosting mixture.
- Layer mashed strawberries over frosting (reserve 3 Tbsp)
- Add next layer of cake, spread evenly with strawberry preserves.
- Top with last layer of cake, frost completely (you may have frosting left over--there is a lot)
- Add remaining mashed strawberries in the center on the top. May want to garnish with whole strawberries.