Spice Cake and Chocolate Frosting -Gladys' Recipe
Gladys who was the mother of five,grewup in this little town,was jolly,enjoyed family and friends,attended all community singalongs,potlucks, and other gatherings, and she also enjoyed fishing in the annual derby.
I asked her for this recipe, and she paused and explained that she didn't have a recipe, just did it her way from memory. She managed to figure out what she used and wrote it down.
- 2 c
- 2 large
- 2 Tbsp
- crisco shortening
- 2 c
- 2 tsp
- 1 tsp
- 1 tsp
- 1 pinch
- 3 c
- 3 tsp
- baking powder
- 1 c
- chopped raisins *optional
- chocolate, unsweetened squares
- 1/3 stick
- milk, you need to judge the amount!
- 2/3 pkg
- confectioners' sugar (the one pound box)
How to Make Spice Cake and Chocolate Frosting -Gladys' Recipe
- 2Sift the dry ingredients. Combine HALF the milk and half the dry ingredients, add eggs, beat, add remainingmilk and dry ingredients. Stir in raisins. Pour into prepared baking pan.
- 3THIS IS THE BEST PART: "BAKE UNTIL JUST ABOUT DONE", her very words!
For a beginning baker this is tough to know, so I'm stating,bake for 35 or 40 minutes and test with a cake tester or tooth pick; and if it comes out clean it's done. Also if you press on it gently and it springs back, it is fine. If it leaves an indent bake a few minutes more and test it again. :) NOTE: 36 mins. worked for me on 2/20/12.
- 4TO MAKE FROSTING: MELT CHOCOLATE ADD SOFT BUTTER, STIR IN 1/3 OF PACKAGE OF THE SUGAR AND ADD A TABLESPOON OF MILK, ADD ANOTHER BIT OF SUGAR AND MORE MILK IF NEEDED. You want it to be "spreading consistency" not dripping, so don't add too much milk at a time, just a spoonful each time. Cool cake completely and then frost. NOTE: 3 Tbs. butter, and 2 Tbs.milk, with 3 cups confectioners' sugar, and the 2 squares of melted chocolate.