Spice Cake (a Bundt Cake)
10 Tbspbutter, unsalted, softened
1 1/3 csugar
3 largeeggs, separated, room temp
2 cpastry flour, sifted (or cake flour)
1 tspbaking soda
2 tspbaking powder
2 tsppumpkin pie spice
1 1/3 cbuttermilk
FOR THE FROSTING
2 cpowdered sugar
4 Tbspbutter, unsalted
How to Make Spice Cake (a Bundt Cake)
- Grease and flour a 10-12 cup Bundt Pan. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a medium bowl with a fork and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter with the sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the 3 eggs yolks and beat well.
- Add the dry ingredients alternately with the buttermilk. Beat until quite smooth. Stir in vanilla.
- In a clean non plastic bowl, beat the 3 egg whites until just stiff and still glossy.
- Fold the beaten egg whites in to the cake batter until no bits of the whites are visible.
- Turn batter out in to the prepared bundt pan. Bake at 350 degrees for about 42 minutes. Test with a pick as ovens vary.
- Cool cake in pan for 15-20 minutes on a rack, then unmold to cool completely on the rack. Tapping the pan on the counter before turning out is helpful.
- Make the frosting when the cake is cooled by mixing all the ingredients in a medium bowl until very smooth. Adjust liquid or sugar to reach desired consistency.
- Frost the cake about 2/3 of the way down the sides and cover the top completely. Cover with a cake dome at room temperature.