Southern Dark Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake
·shortening to grease pans
2 call-purpose flour
2/3 cdark cocoa, unsweetened
1 1/4 tspbaking soda
1/4 tspbaking powder
1 2/3 cdark brown sugar
1 cgood quality mayonnaise
1/3 ccold, strong, brewed coffee
2 tspvanilla extract
How to Make Southern Dark Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake
- Pre-heat oven to 350°. Grease three 8-inch cakes pans. Line the bottoms with parchment paper and grease the parchment paper as well. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs and brown sugar at high speed for 3-4 minutes. The mixture will become light in color and somewhat fluffy.
- Add the mayonnaise to the egg mixture and beat until just blended.
- Add the coffee to the cup of water.
- Into the egg mixture, alternately mix in the flour mixture with the coffee-water, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Scrape down the sides of the bowl in between each addition and do not over beat.
- Divide equally between the three prepared pans.
- Bake for 20-23 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cakes comes out clean.
- On wire racks, cool for 10 minutes, then remove from pans, peel off parchment paper and place on racks to cool completely.
- Spread frosting on cake only when completely cool.