Sour cream pound cake and variations
·1/2 cup butter
·1/2 cup sour cream
·1 1/2 cups flour
·1/4 teaspoon baking powder
·1/8 teaspoon baking soda
·1 cup sugar
·1/2 teaspoon vanilla
·sweetened whipped cream, optional
·fresh berries, optional
How to Make Sour cream pound cake and variations
- allow butter, eggs and sour cream to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile preheat oven to 325°. Grease and lightly flour a 9 x 5" loaf pan. Set aside. In medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a large bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add sugar, beating on medium speed about 10 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add vanilla. Add eggs, one at a time, beating on low to medium speed for one minute after each addition and scraping sides of bowl frequently. Alternately add flour mixture and sour cream to butter mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, spreading batter evenly. Bake for 60 to 75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near center of cake comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan; cool completely on rack. If desired, serve with sweetened whipped cream and berries. Makes 10 servings
- Lemon poppy seed pound cake: prepare as directed, except substitute 1/2 cup lemon yogurt for the sour cream. Gently stir 2 tablespoon poppy seeds, 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel and 2 tablespoons lemon juice into batter.
- Blueberry pound cake: prepare as directed, except pour boiling water over 1/2 cup dried blueberries and let stand for 10 minutes; drain well. Fold berries into batter.