Sister Mary's Chocolate Zucchini Cake
The recipe is contained in our first church cookbook, called Bread From House To House, printed in 1994.
3/4 cmargarine or butter
2 1/2 csugar
2 cgrated zucchini (do not peel)
2 1/2 call purpose flour
1/2 ccocoa powder
2 1/2 tspbaking powder
1 1/2 tspbaking soda
How to Make Sister Mary's Chocolate Zucchini Cake
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease a 9 x 13-inch cake pan.
- Mix together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a medium mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Cream margarine and sugar. Add eggs, vanilla, oil, and zucchini, beating well after each addition. Add dry ingredients alternately with milk. Beat until well mixed, about 1 minute.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Frost with your favorite cream cheese frosting.
This can also be baked in a bundt pan, for 50-60 minutes. Heat the cream cheese frosting and spoon over top of cake.
- NOTE 6/23/2014: I have recently started increasing the zucchini to 3 cups instead of two. I did that just to use up all of the 2 squash I had. They were grated very finely, and the cake turned out wonderfully.