Simple Jam Cake, An Old Farm Recipe
My Grandma called this recipe One Two Three Four Cake.
- 1 c
- butter, softened
- 2 c
- 3 c
- 4 large
- eggs, beaten lightly
- 1 tsp
- baking powder
- 1/2 tsp
- 3/4 c
- 1 Tbsp
- vanilla extract
- jam, strawberry, blackberry, or your favorite
- powdered sugar
How to Make Simple Jam Cake, An Old Farm Recipe
- 1Position oven rack on lowest level of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees. Line a springform cake tin with baking parchment or waxed paper on the base and sides.
- 2In a large bowl sift flour, baking powder and salt together.
With an electric mixer cream butter and sugar until well mixed and very pale. Then slowly add the eggs ensuring that they are combined thoroughly.
- 3Add vanilla to the milk. Fold flour then the milk in 3 lots in using broad strokes ensuring that it is well combined.
Pour the batter into the springform tin and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes on the lowest rack. Then turn the heat down to 325 degrees and bake for an additional 40 minutes (or more depending on test) using a cake tester or a tooth pick to test for doneness. If it comes out clean then the cake is done.
- 4Cool cake on wire rack. Remove from pan and cut into two layers with a long bread knife.
Spread jam thickly on bottom layer. Use as much jam or as little as you prefer. Place top layer on cake and sprinkle powdered sugar on top of cake as thickly as you like.
- 5CHEAT: Use a two layer yellow cake mix and spread jam in between layers. Sprinkle powdered sugar on top. Much quicker but not authentic. hehe :)