Simple Caramel Flan
Blue Ribbon Recipe
Perfectly firm custard and decadently gooey caramel! We love that this recipe calls for a good bit of cinnamon, but you could easily cut back on the amount if you'd perfer a subtler flavor. The Test Kitchen
- 1 1/2 c
- 1 12oz can(s)
- carnation evaporated milk
- 1/2 tsp
- ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp
- pure vanillia
- 1/8 tsp
- kosher salt
- pot hot water for water bath to cook in
- whipped cream for topping ( if desired )
How to Make Simple Caramel Flan
- 1grease a medium baking dish or 6 small individual ramekins or custard cups preheat oven to 350' in a hot heavy saucepan or iron skillet add 3/4 cup of the sugar sprinkle evenly turn stove down to medium heat, let sugar melt and brown to make caramel for flan, remove from heat add caramel to the bottom of baking dish or ramekins divide evenly between them, spread caramel over bottoms.
- 2in a large bowl add 3/4 cup of the sugar, salt, and eggs, beat well, add can milk, mix well, add cinnamon and vanillia mix well
- 3pour into baking dish or divide equally into ramekins or custard cups place into large deep baking pan add hot water to pan about half way up dishes cover with tin foil make steam holes in top and place in oven bake for 35 to 40 minutes ( ovens vary) or until knife inserted in middle comes out clean.
- 4remove from water bath carefully
- 5cool about 3o minutes then cover and place in fridge for several hours to chill. To serve take a knife and go around the outer edge , then invert onto a desert plate, the caramel on the bottom will run down the sides but thats ok, serve with whipped cream or just as is, Enjoy!