Shipshewana Apple Festival Cake with Fruits & Nuts
Every bite is filled with apples, walnuts, coconut, cherries, and dates but its not a Christmas "fruitcake" at all. Its really an apple cake on steroids! :)
This is a tender cake so be gentle when cutting and serving. The original recipe called for it to be served with no icing but I like to sprinkle powdered sugar on top. That's optional.
Toasting the walnuts and chopping the apples, cherries, and dates takes a few minutes but, the result is yumm....
- 1 c
- chopped walnuts
- 3 c
- cake flour
- 1 tsp
- baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp
- 1/2 tsp
- 3 large
- 2 c
- 1 1/2 c
- vegetable oil
- 2 tsp
- vanilla extract
- 3 c
- chopped peeled baking apples (about 2-3 apples)
- 1 c
- coconut, flaked
- 1 jar(s)
- (10 ounces) maraschino cherries, well drained and chopped
- 1 pkg
- (10 ounces) dates, chopped
How to Make Shipshewana Apple Festival Cake with Fruits & Nuts
- 1Toast walnuts by placing them on a cookie sheet with sides and baking at 350 degres for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally while baking. They should turn a nice golden brown. Remove from oven and cool.
- 2Reset oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour the bottom and sides of an angel food cake pan (a 10 inch tube pan with re-moveable bottom).
Mix flour, soda, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside. Beat eggs with mixer until they are thick and lemon colored. Gradually mix in sugar. When well blended add oil and mix well.Then beat in flour mixture, gradually.
Stir in walnuts, vanilla, apples, coconut, cherries, and dates. Transfer to cake can and spread evenly.
- 3Bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes or until cke passes the toothpick test. Remove from oven and cool for 15 minutes on a wire rack. The gently remove from pan and dust with powdered sugar. Set cake on wire rack and cool completely.