SCHWARTZWALD TORTE or 'Black Forest Cherry Torte'
Takes a little more time to make, but well worth it for a special dessert. I made this for my grandmother once years ago and I think she could have ate the whole thing. She loved her chocolate.
I made Sauerbraten for her that day too. I just remember that I did not get my meat tender enough, but she still said it was excellent.
Otherwise the cake saved the day. It was perfect and always is perfect.
This recipe is from an old cookbook that I purchased from Mader's Restaurant back in 1981. Mader's is a German Restaurant in Milwaukee and has the best German food!
2 cheavy whipping cream
1/4 cconfectioners' sugar
·shaved chocolate (i use ghiradelli chocolate)
How to Make SCHWARTZWALD TORTE or 'Black Forest Cherry Torte'
- Separate egg yolks from whites.
- Sift flour, cocoa and salt together.
- In a small bowl beat egg yolks until light and lemon colored. Add 3/4 cup of sugar gradually and beat until added. Mixture should be light and thick. Add vanilla. Transfer to a larger mixing bowl.
- In a clean bowl beat egg whites until frothy. Add 1/2 cup sugar gradually beating constantly. You should have stiff peaks form. Now fold this into egg yolk mixture.
- Sift flour & cocoa mixture over eggs and fold in gently, but thoroughly.
- Transfer to two deep 9 inch prepared baking pans, lightly greased and floured.
- Bake 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until cake tests done.
NOTE: I bake my cakes at 325 so they baked more level and even. This requires longer baking time.
- Let cool in pans for 10 minutes while making glaze.
- Combine sugar and water in a sauce pan. Over low heat stir until sugar melts. Remove from heat and add brandy.
- Turn cakes out onto a cooling rack. Brush top of cakes with glaze while warm.
- To make the frosting: Combine the cream and confectioners sugar and chill. Beat until light and fluffy, then add brandy.
- Spread whipping cream on one layer of cake and top with the second layer. Frost the top and the sides with whipping cream. Sprinkle with shaved chocolate and decorate with maraschino cherries that have been well drained and blotted with paper towel.
- To shave chocolate use a vegetable peeler.