Scharffen Berger Flourless Chocolate Cake
How to Make Scharffen Berger Flourless Chocolate Cake
- 1Grease the bottom of an 8-inch cake pan and line with parchment paper.
Preheat oven to 350-degrees.
- 2Break up chocolate and put in the top of a double boiler or in a bowl over simmering water. Make sure the water does not touch the bottom of the bowl. Stir to melt. Remove from heat and let cool to slightly warm.
- 3In an electric mixer with a paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar until the mixture is pale, light and fluffy. Slowly add the egg yolks and continue beating to a light consistency.
- 4Add cooled chocolate and beat until smooth and velvety.
Beat egg whites with a completely clean wire whisk attachment until soft peaks. Gently fold egg whites into chocolate mixture.
- 5The egg whites should be gently folded in with a spatula. Make sure there are no white streaks in the batter.
- 6Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. The top will be puffy and may crack.
- 7Remove from oven and cool completely on a wire rack.
- 8Serve at room temperature with whipped cream and a few fresh berries. Alternatively, dust the top with powdered sugar.