Royal Hawaiian Chiffon Cake
- 2 c
- sifted gold medal flour (not packed)
- 1 1/2 c
- 3 tsp
- baking powder *
- 1 tsp
- salt *
- 1/2 c
- cooking oil (salad) ; wesson or mazola
- 7 medium
- egg yolks
- 3/4 c
- cold water
- 2 tsp
- 2 tsp
- grated rind of 1 lemon
- 1 c
- egg whites (7 or 8 )
- 1/2 tsp
- cream of tartar
STEP 1 : MEASURE LEVEL INGREDIENTS THROUGHOUT AND SIFT TOGETHER INTO A MIXING BOWL.
MAKE A WELL AND ADD IN ORDER : THEN BEAT WITH SPOON UNTIL SMOOTH
STEP 2 : MEASURE INTO LARGE MIXING BOWL ; WHIP UNTIL WHITES ARE VERY STIFF PEAKS ; DO NOT OVER BEAT
How to Make Royal Hawaiian Chiffon Cake
- 1STEP 3 : Pour egg yolk mixture gradually over whipped egg whites GENTLY folding with a rubber scraper until blended. DO NOT STIR : THIS IS IMPORTANT.
- 2Pour into ungreased 10" tube pan 4" deep , IMMEDIATELY.
- 3Bake for 55 minutes @ 325° , then 350° for 10-15 minutes or until top springs up when lightly touched.
- 4NOTE : can also be baked in an 9x13x2" oblong pan for 45 - 50 minutes @ 350°.
- 5IMMEDIATELY turn cake upside down, placing tube part over neck of funnel or bottle , or resting on two other pans. Let hang free of table until cold ; loosen from sides and tube with spatula ; Turn pan over and hit edge sharply to loosen. Frost with Royal Hawaiian Frosting. (below)
- 6* if using self rising flour , omit salt and baking powder.
- 7ROYAL HAWAIIAN FROSTING : cream together 2 Tbs.(high grade) shortening , 1 Tbs. butter , ¼ tsp. salt , ½ cup confectioners sugar. Add Alternately : 2½ cups confectioners sugar and ½ cup drained crushed pineapple. Beat until creamy.