Rizon Chocolate Sponge Cake / Cocoa Cake
I think this recipe was created before electric mixers and gas/electric ovens ??
- 1/2 + 2 TB c
- one 1/2 c + 2 tbsp of butter
- 2 c
- confectioners' sugar
- eggs, separated
- 6 Tbsp
- cocoa, unsweetened
- 4 tsp
- baking powder
- 2 1/3 c
- all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp
- 1 c
- 3/4 tsp
- vanilla extract
How to Make Rizon Chocolate Sponge Cake / Cocoa Cake
- 1Cream Butter, Add one cup of sugar gradually while stirring constantly. Beat the yolks of eggs until thick and lemon tinted; add them to the second cup of sugar while beating constantly, then combine the two mixtures.
- 2Sift together all dry ingredients. Add alternately with milk to mixture. Add extract.
- 3Then fold in the whites of eggs beaten until stiff. Mix until thoroughly blended.
- 4Turn mixture into well-buttered tube pan and bake 45 minutes in "Moderate" oven.
- 5If you can enlarge the photo you will notice that I changed the 2 oz of chocolate to the 6 tbsp of cocoa. If you are substituting cocoa for chocolate you have to add 1 tbsp of shortening for every 3 tablespoons of cocoa. That is why the butter is now 1/2 cup + 2 TBSP. The original recipe calls for 2 oz of unsweetened chocolate melted over a double boiler. I have no idea what a moderate oven temp is... since most cakes are baked at 350 I would set the temp for that and make sure I kept an eye on it.