Rizon Chocolate Sponge Cake / Cocoa Cake
I think this recipe was created before electric mixers and gas/electric ovens ??
★★★★★ 1 vote5
1/2 + 2 TB cone 1/2 c + 2 tbsp of butter
2 cconfectioners' sugar
6 Tbspcocoa, unsweetened
4 tspbaking powder
2 1/3 call purpose flour
3/4 tspvanilla extract
How to Make Rizon Chocolate Sponge Cake / Cocoa Cake
- Cream Butter, Add one cup of sugar gradually while stirring constantly. Beat the yolks of eggs until thick and lemon tinted; add them to the second cup of sugar while beating constantly, then combine the two mixtures.
- Sift together all dry ingredients. Add alternately with milk to mixture. Add extract.
- Then fold in the whites of eggs beaten until stiff. Mix until thoroughly blended.
- Turn mixture into well-buttered tube pan and bake 45 minutes in "Moderate" oven.
- If you can enlarge the photo you will notice that I changed the 2 oz of chocolate to the 6 tbsp of cocoa. If you are substituting cocoa for chocolate you have to add 1 tbsp of shortening for every 3 tablespoons of cocoa. That is why the butter is now 1/2 cup + 2 TBSP. The original recipe calls for 2 oz of unsweetened chocolate melted over a double boiler. I have no idea what a moderate oven temp is... since most cakes are baked at 350 I would set the temp for that and make sure I kept an eye on it.