Rich's Favorite Pumpkin Bread (makes 2 loaves)
2/3 cshortening, butter flavor
2 2/3 csugar
1 can(s)(16 oz.) pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
3 1/3 call purpose flour
1 1/2 tspsalt
2 tspbaking soda
1/2 tspbaking powder
1 tspground cinnamon
1 tspground cloves
2/3 ccoarsely chopped nuts, walnuts or pecans
2/3 craisins, we prefer white raisins
How to Make Rich's Favorite Pumpkin Bread (makes 2 loaves)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 2-9"X 5" X 3" loaf pans, bottoms only.
- In a large bowl or electric mixer, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Stir in (on medium low speed on mixer) eggs, pumpkin and water.
- Blend in flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and cloves. Make sure that everything is blended evenly, but do not over mix or the bread will not be tender.
- Stir in (on stir or low on mixer) nuts and raisins.
- Spread evenly into pans, mixture will be thick. Bake about 70 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Let cool 10 minutes in pan and then turn out onto a rack to finish cooling.
- These loaves can be frozen. Wrap well in foil. Let thaw before serving. I've frozen them for up to 2 weeks with success.