I've made this gluten free using a gluten free rice flour mix and adding 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum. I've also used whole wheat flour, which works but makes a heavier cake.
Frozen rhubarb works in this recipe. When I use frozen, I mix it into the batter just before spreading in the greased pan.
This is very good served warm with ice cream.
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 1 c
- white sugar
- 1/2 c
- butter, melted
- 1 large
- 1 c
- milk with 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tsp
- 1/2 tsp
- 2 c
- flour (gluten free all purpose works too)
- 3 c
- cut rhubarb
How to Make Rhubarb Cake
- 1Mix sugar and melted butter, add egg and beat well. Add flour, salt, milk with baking soda, and vanilla and stir well.
- 2Spread in a greased 9X13 pan. Spread rhubarb over batter, then mix together 3/4 cup brown sugar and 2 teaspoons cinnamon OR nutmeg and sprinkle this over the rhubarb.
- 3Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.