Red Velvet Cupcake Poppers
Don't let the long list of ingredients put you off. This recipe is "scratch cake 101" and is really very easy to make.
2 1/2 call-purpose flour
1/4 ccocoa, unsweetened
1 tspbaking powder
1 tspbaking soda
1 cbuttermilk, shaken
1 ozred "no taste" gel food color
1 tspwhite vinegar
1 tsppure vanilla extract
1 stickbutter, unsalted
1 1/2 csugar
How to Make Red Velvet Cupcake Poppers
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line mini-muffin tin with paper cupcake liners.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a large measuring cup, combine the buttermilk, vinegar and vanilla.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar together until light (about 1-2 minutes). Add the eggs, one at a time, beat until combined.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients and the wet ingredients alternately in 3 parts, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Mix until combined. Add the red food color. Mix until combined, scraping down the bowl with a rubber spatula as necessary. The batter should be the consistency of brownie batter.
- Scoop the batter into the cupcake papers using a small size cookie scoop or spoon. Batter should fill the cupcake papers approximately three-quarters full.
- Bake for about 14 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack until completely cool.
- When the mini cupcakes are completely cool, carefully remove the cupcake papers. Using a serrated knife, hold each cupcake gently by the top and cut off the bottom part, just below the top.
- Fill a piping bag with cream cheese frosting and using a large rosette tip, pipe frosting onto one half of the cupcake tops. Place the remaining cupcake tops onto the frosted tops. Press down gently.
- These should be refrigerated because of the dairy (cream cheese) filling.