REAL Carrot Cake
★★★★★ 2 votes5
1 lbcarrots, peeled
2 c+ 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
2 tspbaking powder
2 tspbaking soda
2 tspground cinnamon
1 cblack walnuts, chopped
5 largeeggs (at room temperature)
1-1/4 cgranulated sugar
1 cvegetable oil
1/2 cdry white wine or vermouth
1 cconfectioners' sugar
1 tspdark rum
How to Make REAL Carrot Cake
- FOR THE CAKE: Shred carrots using the food processor, fitted with the shredding disk; set aside.
- Adjust oven rack to the middle position; heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 12-cup Bundt pan.
- Whisk 2 cups flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl
- Toss the black walnuts with the remaining 2 teaspoons flour in a small bowl until well coated; set aside.
- With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat the eggs and granulated sugar until combined.
- Reduce speed to medium and slowly add the oil until incorporated.
- Increase speed to high and beat until the mixture is light and creamy
- Using a rubber spatula, stir in the flour mixture, black walnuts, raisins and carrots until combined.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan and bake until a cake tester, inserted into center of cake, comes out clean, 50-60 minutes.
- Cool the cake in the pan for 30 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to cool completely, at least 1 hour.
- FOR THE TOPPING: Brush wine or vermouth over cake until it is absorbed.
- Whisk the confectioners' sugar, buttermilk and rum in a medium bowl.
- Drizzle over cake as shown in photograph.