Quick Whole Wheat Banana Bread
You can also make what we call the "Elvis Cake" by replacing the fruit with chocolate and peanut butter chips. Or double the recipe and make one of each. You get a breakfast bread and a dessert bread.
- have all ingredients at room temperature before starting.
- preheat oven to 350 degrees
- 1 3/4 c
- whole wheat flour (sift before measuring)
- 2 1/4 tsp
- double acting baking powder
- 1/2 tsp
- 5 1/2 Tbsp
- butter or earth balance butter substitute
- 2/3 c
- 1 tsp
- grated lemon zest
- 1 to 2
- beaten eggs
- 1 to 1 1/4
- ripe mashed banana pulp
- 1 pinch
- small pinch of freshly grated or dried nutmeg
- 1/2 c
- chopped pecans (or nut of your choice)
- 1/4 c
- chopped dried apricots
How to Make Quick Whole Wheat Banana Bread
- 1Resift flour with baking powder and salt and set aside.
- 2In a large bowl blend until creamy: butter, sugar and lemon zest.
- 3Beat in eggs and banana pulp.
- 4Slowly beat in the sifted ingredients to the butter mixture until smooth.
- 5Fold in seasonings, apricots and nuts.
- 6Bake in a pre-greased bread pan for 50 - 60 minutes. Bread is finished when a toothpick comes out clean. Allow the bread to cool before slicing.