Pumpkin Chiffon Cake
***It's pumpkin-packed and a healthier alternative to high calorie custard pie.
***It will satisfy cake lovers even withou layers of fatty frosting.
***It's sturdy and statuesque---a thin slice feels substantial.
- 1 c
- 1 1/4 Tbsp
- pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp
- baking powder
- 1/2 tsp
- eggs, separated, at room temperature, plus
- plus 5
- egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 c
- canned pure pumpkin puree
- see note.
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
How to Make Pumpkin Chiffon Cake
- 1Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Prepare a 10-inch tube pan with a removable bottom.
- 2In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, 3/4 cup granulated sugar, the pumpkin pie spice, baking powder and salt.
- 3In a medium bowl, combine the egg yolks and punpkin puree.
- 4Stir the pumpkin mixture into the flour mixture until smooth.
- 5Using an electric mixer with a whisk attachment, whip the remaining 9 egg whites at medium speed until foamy, about 2 minutes.
- 6With the machine on, gradually whisk in the remaining 1/2 cup granulated sugar, increase the speed to high and beat until stiff but still moist, 1 to 2 minutes.
- 7Add one-quarter of the egg white mixture to the pumpkin batter, folding with a rubber spatula just until no streaks remain. Fold in the remaining egg white mixture in the same manner.
- 8Pour the batter into your tube pan and bake until springy to the touch and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 55 minutes.
- 9Let cool in the cake pan for 5 minutes, then invert the pan ontl a narrow-necked bottle and let hang upside down until completely cool, about 1 1/2 hours.
- 10Place the cake right side up and remove the pan.'
- 11To serve, dust the cake with the confectioners' sugar.