1'2 cbutter or margarine
1/4 cwhipping cream
1 cpacked brown sugar
3/4 ccoarsely chopped pecans
1 box18.25 ounce betty crocker supermoist yellow cake mix
1 cpumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
1/3 cvegetable oil
1 1/2 tsppumpkin pie spice
116 ounce container betty crocker rich & creamy cream cheese frosting
·caramel topping (optional)
·additional coarsely chopped pecans (optional)
How to Make Praline-Pumpkin Cake
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In 1-quart heavy saucepan, stir together butter, whipping cream and brown sugar.
- Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, just until butter is melted.
- Pour into 2 (9 or 8 inch) round cake pans; sprinkle evenly with 3/4 cup pecans.
- In large bowl, beat cake mix, pumpkin, water, oil, eggs and 1 teaspoon of the pumpkin pie spice with electric mixer on low speed until moisted.
- Beat 2 ninutes on medium speed.
- Carefully spoon batter over pecan mixture in each pan.
- Bake 43 to 45 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly in center.
- Cool 5 minutes; remove from pans to cooling rack.
Cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Stir remaining 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice into frosting.
- To assemble cake, place 1 layer, praline side up, on serving plate.
- Spread with half of the frosting.
- Top with second layer, praline side up; spread remaining frosting to edge of layer.
- Drizzle with caramel topping and additional pecans.
- Store loosely covered in refrigerator.