Anna Mae Kantor
It is wonderful with fresh, crushed strawberries or ice cream or cool whip on top, or I just sprinkle it with powdered sugar after I cut a slice.
- 1 c
- salted butter, room temperature
- 1 c
- crisco shortening (solid)
- 8 large
- 4 c
- sifted flour
- 3 c
- 4 tsp
- baking powder
- 2 tsp
- vanilla extract
- 1 c
- powdered sugar to dust over finished cake
How to Make Pound Cake
- 1Blend butter and Crisco with eggs and sugar with mixer. Meanwhile sift flour and baking powder together in a separate bowl. Add vanilla to milk in measuring cup and alternately add flour mixture, then half the milk, beginning and ending with flour. When all ingredients have been added, beat on high speed for 20 minutes.
Grease and sugar pan and bake at 325 for 1 hour 10 to 15 min. or until tested done. Let it rest for about 10 minutes when you take it out of the oven and then invert it onto a cake plate and let cool. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Enjoy !!
- 2I grease and SUGAR my pan. Someone told me this a long time ago and at first I was afraid the sugar would burn, but it doesn't. It just gives it a thin, light, crispy sugar crust that is an added extra special taste. I do this on most of my pound cakes and also my coffee cakes--try it you'll LOVE it.
- 3Also, sometimes I change the flavoring used. I've made it with almond, strawberry, cherry, orange, and lemon--all whenever substituted it's 2 teaspoons.
Also, this recipe can be halved if you would like a smaller cake. Just adjust the time as needed, but it will still take about an hour to bake.
- 4When cake is cooled--sprinkle with powdered sugar. I use a powdered sugar shaker that I got from Pampered Chef--works great and sprinkles evenly.