Portuguese Lemon Tartlets (Queijadas de Leite)
- 4 Tbsp
- butter, melted
- 2 c
- granulated sugar
- 3 large
- 1 Tbsp
- fresh lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp
- lemon juice
- 1 c
- + 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3 c
- butter and flour (for greasing cupcake pan)
- confectioner's sugar (optional, for dusting cupcake tops)
How to Make Portuguese Lemon Tartlets (Queijadas de Leite)
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F. Generously grease and flour 24 cups in 1 or 2 regular-sized cupcake pans; set aside.
- 2Heat milk to almost boiling, but remove from heat before scalding.
- 3In an electric mixer, cream the melted butter, sugar, eggs, lemon zest and lemon juice. Slowly add the flour and heated milk, and mix on medium speed for 2 to 3 minutes.
- 4Divide the batter equally among the 24 cupcake cups, filling about 1/2 to 3/4 full.
- 5Place cupcake tins in preheated oven, and bake for 45 minutes. Let cool in pan before removing cupcakes from the pan. The center will be a little sunken and wiggly, that's OK.
- 6They're usually served unfrosted, but you can lightly dust the tops with a little sifted powdered sugar or shredded coconut, if you like.
Another option is to spoon fresh sliced berries on top, just before serving.