Poppy Seed Coffee Cake
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- coffee cake:
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs, separated, at room temperature, see note
- 1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 twelve oz. can poppy filling
- 6 tbsp. flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
How to Make Poppy Seed Coffee Cake
- 1Preheat oven to 350. Line an 8 x 8 inch baking pan with waxed paper.
- 2To make coffee cake, in medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
In small bowl, light beat egg yolks, about 1 minute.
- 3In large bowl on low speed of mixer, cream shortening and the sugar til fluffy, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add egg yolks. Add dry ingredients in two parts, alternating with the milk. In another bowl on high speed of mixer, beat egg whites til stiff peaks form. Gently fold egg whites into the batter. Batter will be thick and dough like.
Meanwhile, make the topping. In small bowl, mix together flour, brown sugar, and baking powder. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter til mixture resembles coarse crumbs
- 4Pour the batter into prepared pan. Make indentations with back of a spoon and press teaspoonfuls of the poppy filling into each indentation. Sprinkle the topping over cake. Bake 40 to 45 minutes or til cake tester comes out clean with moist crumbs attached. Don't overbake. Allow to cool for 20 minutes before cutting and serving. Makes 1 cake