★★★★★ 1 vote5
1 cwater, hot
1/4 tspnutmeg, and cloves
1 tspbaking soda
1/2 cshortening, (can use 1 cup vegetable oil)
1 cmashed bananas or applesauce, can also use grated zucchini
How to Make Poor Man Cake
- Boil raisins in 1 cup water until tender.
Measure liquid and add enough water to make 1 cup.
set this aside.
- 2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoons. cinnamon
1/4 teaspoons. nutmeg
1/4 teaspoons cloves
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoons salt.
sift together and set aside.
- Mix together until fluffy
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup shortening
- Add in the egg
1 cup of mashed bananas, or the applesauce
add the raisins to the above and mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Pour in a greased and floured 9X12 baking pan
and bake at 325 or 350 degrees until when tested with a pick, it come out clean, about 30 minutes.
- Let cool and either ice with your favorite icing or dust with powdered sugar (this is the way I remember this cake being served, with the powdered sugar)