PINEAPPLE UPSIDE DOWN CAKE (Bonnie's)
The photo is my own, and so is this humble recipe.
- pillsbury white cake mix
- 20 ounce can dole pineapple, crushed
- 20 ounce can dole pineapple, chunks
- cup sugar
- tablespoons cornstarch mixed with 1/2 cup of the pineapple juice and whisked smooth.
- tablespoons lemon juice
- large maraschino cherries with stems
- whipped cream for topping
How to Make PINEAPPLE UPSIDE DOWN CAKE (Bonnie's)
- 1Cook's Tip: I found that in my oven, it took about 50 minutes for the cake to get done. I tented it with foil to slow the browning. Check with a tooth pick in the middle and if it comes clean, it is done. Cake will pull away from the sides of the pan. This cake tastes more wonderful when allowed to sit overnight to let the flavors blend.
- 2MAKE THE PINEAPPLE FILLING
Use a medium sauce pan over medium low heat, and add the pineapple and juice, lemon juice, sugar and cornstarch mixture. Cook and stir constantly until the mixture is super thick and glassy looking and no taste of cornstarch remains. This takes about 15 minutes or so. Set aside to cool slightly.
- 3PREPARE THE CAKE
In a large mixing bowl, mix the cake mix and the ingredients according to the directions on the box. Grease a 9x13 inch metal pan with Pam. Pour the batter in the pan. Spoon pineapple filling, a large spoon at a time, evenly distributed over the top of the batter. Don't stir! All the pineapple and filling will sink to the bottom while it is baking. (I know, it is hard to believe, but trust me, it is true!)
- 4BAKE THE CAKE
Place the cake in the oven and bake according to the package directions. Note that it may take more than the time indicated. Use the toothpick test to check if it is done. Cool the cake 15 minutes, then flip over on a foil lined tray. Cut into 12 large slices to serve, or 24 small slices. Top each square with a dollop of whipped cream and a maraschino cherry. Enjoy!