Pineapple Upside-down Cake
I've made this with crushed,chunk, and tidbit pineapple pieces as well, (my favorite is the tidbits). When I do this, I space out the cherry halves evenly, or omit them. I've also sprinkled on dried cherries before the tidbits.
I omit the salt if I'm using salted butter. Margarine can be used instead.
1/4 cbutter, cold
1 cbrown sugar, firmly packed
1 can(s)20oz pinapple, drained and juice reseved
1 cpecans, halved
5maraschino cherries, drained and halved
3 Tbspbutter, softened
How to Make Pineapple Upside-down Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter (or spray with cooking spray) the sides of a 8-10 inch cast iron skillet.
- Melt 1/4C. butter in skillet, over low heat. Pack brown sugar evenly into skillet. Add pineapple rings around the edge of the skillet and in the center.
- Place cherry halves rounded side down in pineapple rings. Add pecan halves and spread out evenly in a single layer and press down on them to help "pack" into the skillet.
- Cream together butter and sugar in a separate bowl with pastry blender until coarse crumbs are formed. Mix in eggs one at a time at low speed. Add flour mix at low speed. Add in 1/3C. reserved pineapple juice, add water if not enough juice.
- Beat at medium speed until well mixed. Pour over ingredients in skillet.
- Bake 35-45 minuets until golden brown on top and toothpick comes out clean. Immediately invert on to plate/platter of greater diameter than skillet used. Wait 5 minutes then remove skillet.