Pineapple Skillet Cake
** REQUIRES A 12" CAST IRON SKILLET **
- 1 c
- brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp
- butter (not margarine)
- 6 slice
- pineapple (canned or fresh)
- maraschino cherries
- eggs, separated
- 1 c
- sugar, white
- 1/2 c
- pineapple juice
- 1/4 tsp
- 1 1/2 c
- flour, all-purpose
- 1 1/2 tsp
- baking powder
- 1 tsp
How to Make Pineapple Skillet Cake
- 1Preheat oven to 350F.
- 2In a 12-inch cast iron skillet combine brown sugar and butter, cooking over medium heat until sugar is melted. Remove from heat.
- 3Arrange pineapple slices over in the sugar mixture, placing a cherry in the center of each slice.
- 4In a mixing bowl, beat egg yolks until thick and lemon coloured.
- 5Add sugar, pineapple juice and vanilla; continue beating 1-2 minutes.
- 6Sift together dry ingredients and stir into the batter.
- 7In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff and then fold into the batter.
- 8Pour batter over pineapples in the skillet and bake 25-30 minutes.
- 9Remove from oven, invert cake onto a platter/cake plate and serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped topping.