4 smallpotatoes, peeled and quartered
1 1/4 cmilk, warmed
2 largeeggs, lightly beaten
2 1/4 tspactive dry yeast
4 1/2 cbread flour
·extra light olive oil, for frying
1 Tbspbutter, melted
How to Make Perfect Doughnuts
- Boil potatoes and allow to cool before mashing.
- In a stand mixer with the hook attachment, mix milk, eggs, sugar and yeast on low for 2 minutes allowing the yeast to activate.
- Add the mashed potatoes, then lard, then flour one cup at a time, until it is all added. Then add the salt and mix until dough is soft and supple.
Knead and add additional ¼ to ½ cup flour if necessary: the dough should be really soft, but NOT sticky
- Roll out dough to ½-inch thickness with a rolling pin.
Cut out doughnuts with a pizza cutter.
- Place on greased baking sheets; cover with a damp, lightweight towel and let rise until almost doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
Cook in oil heated to 340 degrees F, till browned on both sides, flipping them over a few times to get even color.
- Remove from oil and place onto paper towels to dry.
If desired, brush warm doughnuts with melted butter and dip in powdered sugar.