- 4 small
- potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 1/4 c
- milk, warmed
- 2 large
- eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 c
- 3/4 c
- 2 1/4 tsp
- active dry yeast
- 4 1/2 c
- bread flour
- 1 tsp
- extra light olive oil, for frying
- 1 Tbsp
- butter, melted
- additional sugar
How to Make Perfect Doughnuts
- 1Boil potatoes and allow to cool before mashing.
- 2In a stand mixer with the hook attachment, mix milk, eggs, sugar and yeast on low for 2 minutes allowing the yeast to activate.
- 3Add the mashed potatoes, then lard, then flour one cup at a time, until it is all added. Then add the salt and mix until dough is soft and supple.
Knead and add additional ¼ to ½ cup flour if necessary: the dough should be really soft, but NOT sticky
- 4Roll out dough to ½-inch thickness with a rolling pin.
Cut out doughnuts with a pizza cutter.
- 5Place on greased baking sheets; cover with a damp, lightweight towel and let rise until almost doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
Cook in oil heated to 340 degrees F, till browned on both sides, flipping them over a few times to get even color.
- 6Remove from oil and place onto paper towels to dry.
If desired, brush warm doughnuts with melted butter and dip in powdered sugar.