Pear Cornmeal Cake w/Rosemary Syrup
8 Tbsp(1 stick) unsalted butter, melted plus more for pan
1 1/4 cflour, spooned and leveled
1/2 cyellow cornmeal
2 tspbaking powder
1/4 tspbaking soda
1/2 tspfine salt
1 1/4 csugar
2ripe pears, cut into 8 wedges each
6 largesprigs rosemary
How to Make Pear Cornmeal Cake w/Rosemary Syrup
- Heat oven to 350. Butter a 9 in. springform pan
- Whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt and 1 cup of the sugar in a large bowl. Whisk together the buttermilk, eggs and melted butter in a medium bowl. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk to combine. Fold in the pears.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan. ?Bake until a toothpick inserted in the ceanter comes out clean, 45-55 minutes. Cool in the pan for 15 min.; transfer to a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, heat the rosemary, the remaining 1/3 c. sugar, and 1/4 c. water in a sm. pot over medium heat. Cook, stirring, until the sugar is melted. Remove from heat, cover, and let sit, stirring occasionally for 30 min. and up to 4 hrs. Discard the rosemary sprigs.
- While the cake is still warm, brush the top and side with the rosemary syrup.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with whipped cream, if desired.
- TIP: Springform pans are slightly deeper than cake pans, giving this cake a heft that's worthy of a holiday meal. If you don't have a springform pan, butter and flour a 9 inch round cake pan and bake on a baking sheet (to catch any overflow).