Peanut butter cupcakes with chocolate frosting
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened, three quarters sticks
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter, regular, not natural
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- one large egg
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- chocolate frosting, recipe follows
- fleur de sel or chopped salted peanuts for sprinkling, optional
How to Make Peanut butter cupcakes with chocolate frosting
- 1preheat the oven to 350°. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- 2In a bowl of the stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter, peanut butter, Brown sugar, granulated sugar together on medium speed until light colored and creamy, about one minute.
Beat in egg for 30 seconds. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, then mix in the vanilla and beat on medium speed for one minute. Scrape down the sides of the bowl again.
- 3Add the flour mixture in three increments, alternating with the milk, which you'll add in two increments, beginning and ending with flour mixture and beating after each addition. Mix until just combined.
- 4Fill each cupcake liner three quarters full with batter. Bake for about 20 minutes until the tops of cupcakes are Golden and firm and a cake tester comes out clean. Let cool in the pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes, then transfer the cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting. When cool, Frost each cupcake with chocolate frosting. Sprinkle lightly with either Fleur de sel or chopped salted peanuts if desired. The frosted cupcakes will keep, covered, at room temperature for up to two days.
- 5Chocolate frosting:
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup heavy cream
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
put the chocolate in a medium heatproof bowl and set aside.
Mix the cream, butter, corn syrup and salt in a small pan and heat over medium heat until very hot but not boiling, about four minutes.
Quickly pour the hot cream mixture over the chopped chocolate. Let stand for 5 to 7 minutes to melt the chocolate, then whisk until smooth. Refrigerate for 30 minutes then beat with electric mixer until light and fluffy. The frosting will keep for up to three days, refrigerated, in an airtight container. Bring to room temperature before using