Pat's Easy Cassata Cake
Blue Ribbon Recipe
Nutty, fresh and fruity! This delicate cake is almost as delightful to look at as it is to eat. Your guests will think you spent hours preparing it! The Test Kitchen
1 boxyellow cake mix
1 pkginstant vanilla pudding mix (3 oz)
1/3 ccanola oil
1/4 camaretto liqueur
1/4 cmaraschino cherry juice
2 cricotta cheese (15 oz container)
1/2 cgranulated white sugar
1 1/2 tspalmond extract
1/2 cslivered almonds, toasted
1/4 cmaraschino cherries, drained, patted dry & chopped
1/4 csemi sweet baking chocolate, chopped
1 largecontainer of cool whip
How to Make Pat's Easy Cassata Cake
- Grease bottom of a 10 x 15" jelly roll pan. Fit a piece of parchment paper or waxed paper into the pan. Preheat oven to 350°.
- For the Cake:
Beat the cake mix, pudding, eggs, water and oil for 2 minutes in a large mixer bowl with an electric mixer.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until cake springs back when touched. Remove from oven to cool. Flip the cake out onto a cutting board and peel off parchment paper. Cool to room temp.
- Mix the amaretto and cherry juice and set aside.
- For the Filling:
Mix ricotta, sugar, and almond extract together and blend well. Stir in almonds, cherries and chocolate and blend well.
- To assemble the Cake:
Trim off hard edges of cake Brush cake with the amaretto mixture. Evenly cut the cake into 3 equal bars, approximately 5" wide. Place one piece of cake onto a serving platter.
- Spread 1/2 the filling over the first layer. Repeat with second layer and the rest of filling. Top with last layer of cake.
- Cover the entire cake, top & sides, with Cool Whip. Sprinkle more slivered almonds, maraschino cherry halves and shaved semi sweet chocolate. Keep cake refrigerated until serving time. Remaining cake should be refrigerated. (Like that's going to happen! *_*)