OVERNIGHT CAKE 1964
2 csifted white all purpose flour
2 cgranulated white sugar
1 cboiling water
2 tspbaking powder
1 tsppure vanilla extract
1 tspalmond extract
8 largeegg whites
1 tspcream of tartar
How to Make OVERNIGHT CAKE 1964
- Sift the flour and sugar together until well blended.
- Add boiling water, stiring until blended, and let stand until cold, or over night.
- Add baking powder, vanilla, and almond to the cooled mixture.
In a large clean bowl place your egg whites.
- Beat egg whites until broken and frothy.
- Add a pinch of salt, and the cream of tartar.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry.
- Fold the stiff whites into the first cold batter mixture.
- Place in an UNGREASED Angel Food TUBE pan.
Preheat your oven to 250 degrees, rack in centre.
- Bake for 15 minutes, at 250 degrees
Increase heat without opening door or removing cake to 300 degrees, and bake for 20 minutes,
Increase heat again without opening door or removing cake to 350 degress, and bake for 15 more and final minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool completely in pan upside down as you would a Angel Cake.
- When completely cooled, run a knife around outer edge, and around tube to remove cake.
- Tips, use a two piece tube pan. When I first read this recipe I didn't know if the pan should be greased or ungreased, turned upside down or left right side up for cooling. So I went with trial and error and treated it as an angel cake, and it worked fine. If you use a one piece tube pan I would place a piece of parchment on bottom for easy removal.
Also please use both of the teaspoon each of vanilla and almond the combination makes the true flavour of an angel cake.
- Please try the recipe, I am sure you will enjoy it very much. This is one cake just like grandmas.