Orange walnut Blondie
·8 tablespoons unsalted butter, one stick
·1 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
·two large eggs
·2 tablespoons fresh squeezed orange juice, one medium orange
·1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
·1 3/4 cup unbleached flour
·1/2 teaspoon baking powder
·1/2 teaspoons salt
·1 tablespoon grated orange zest
·1/2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
·1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips, optional
How to Make Orange walnut Blondie
- grease a 9 x 9" baking pan with butter. Dust with flour and shake out the excess. Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Melt the butter and sugar in a small pan over low heat, stirring frequently. When blended and smooth, remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- Transfer the butter mixture to a medium mixing bowl. Beat in the eggs until completely blended. Add the orange juice and vanilla and mix thoroughly.
- Measure the flour, baking powder, and salt and then sift together directly into the batter. Mix gently until well combined and no trace of the dry ingredients remains.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir in the orange zest, walnuts, and if desired, chocolate chips. Spread the batter evenly into prepared baking pan. Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with only crumbs, not batter, on it. The top should be Golden Brown and the edges pulling away from sides of the pan.
Remove from the oven and let cool on a rack for one hour. Cut just before serving.
Makes 12 to 16 bars.