Orange Sunrise Cake
If you can't find an orange cake mix, a yellow mix will work, but the orange flavor will be more subtle. I wanted a little zing that I wasn't getting from the orange so I added a bit of lemon.
Also, the syrup is more of a gloss and less of a glaze. It gives the cake a shiny coat but punches up the flavor too. I don't suggest pooling the syrup though, it can make the cake soggy and almost TOO sweet.
- 1 (18.25 ounce) package orange cake mix
- 1 (3 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
- 3/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon of orange zest
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
How to Make Orange Sunrise Cake
- 1Grease a 10 inch Bundt pan. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- 2In a large bowl, stir together cake mix and pudding mix. Make a well in the center and pour in 3/4 cup orange juice, lemon juice, applesauce, eggs, orange and vanilla extracts, orange and lemon zest. Beat on low speed until blended. Scrape bowl, and beat 4 minutes on medium speed. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- 3Immediately, bake in preheated oven for 50 to 55 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
- 4In a saucepan over medium heat, cook 1/3 cup orange juice, sugar and butter for five minutes. Brush over cake, discard excess syrup.