Orange Spice Cookies
1 cgranulated sugar
1 cpowdered sugar
1 cbutter, softened
1 cvegetable shortening
4 call-purpose flour
2 tspgrated orange peel
1 tspcream of tartar
1 tspbaking soda
1/2 tspground cardamom
1/4 tspground ginger
1/2 ccoarse sprinkling sugar (holiday colors optional) or granulated sugar
How to Make Orange Spice Cookies
- In a large mixing bowl, combine 1 c granulated sugar, 1 c powdered sugar, butter, shortening, and eggs. Beat at medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add flour, peel, cream of tartar, baking soda, cardamom, ginger, and salt to a separate bowl.
- Slowly add flour to sugar/butter mixture. Beat at low speed until soft dough forms.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill 1 to 2 hours or until firm.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Shape dough into 1 inch balls.
- Roll balls in sprinkling sugar or granulated sugar. Place balls 2 inches apart on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Flatten balls with bottom of a drinking glass.
- Wipe the glass with a damp cloth to prevent sticking.
- Bake for 12 to 13 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Let cool for 1 minute before removing from cookie sheet. Cool completely before storing.