ORANGE LAYER CAKE (LOWFAT)
I am so glad to have found this wonderful recipe. It comes from the internet by a caterer named Donna. We thank you!
- cake ingredients:
- cups bread flour
- cup granulated sugar
- tablespoon baking powder
- teaspoon salt
- tablespoon finely grated orange peel
- 6 ounce jar of pear baby food
- cup skim milk (i used 2%)
- cup fresh orange juice
- teaspoon orange extract
- egg whites, at room temperature
- tablespoons granulated sugar
- orange frosting:
- tablespoons light margarine
- cups powdered sugar
- tablespoons fresh orange juice
- teaspoon finely grated orange peel
- teaspoon orange extract
- cup powdered sugar
How to Make ORANGE LAYER CAKE (LOWFAT)
- 1Important Note: Do not omit or substitute the pear baby food. There is a reason it is in the cake.
- 2MAKE THE CAKE:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Using Pam kitchen spray, spray two 8 inch cake pans.
- 3Combine flour, 1 cup granulated sugar, baking powder, salt and orange peel in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- 4In a small bowl, combine pears, milk, 1/4 cup orange juice, and 1/2 teaspoon orange extract and blend well.
- 5In a small mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Add 2 tablespoons granulated sugar and beat egg whites until stiff peaks form but are not dry. Add the orange juice mixture to the egg whites, and beat on moderately low speed until well blended.
- 6Now add the egg white mixture to the dry ingredients BY HAND and quickly mix with a rubber spatula to quickly fold in. Don't overmix.
- 7Pour batter into two 8 inch prepared pans. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes to 30 minutes. Do not overcook! Cake will start to pull away from the sides and will be done when you do the toothpick test and it comes out clean. Cake will only be light brown. Remove from oven, cover with wax paper, and put on a rack to cool before removing from pans.
- 8MAKE THE FROSTING:
In a medium bowl, and using the hand mixer, beat margarine until smooth. Add 2 cups powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons orange juice, orange peel, and 1 teaspoon orange extract and beat until blended. Add 1 cup powdered sugar and beat until orange frosting is light and fluffy. If it gets too thick, add a tiny splash of orange juice to thin and beat before frosting.
- 9FROST THE CAKE!
Place 3 strips of wax paper on your cake serving plate. Set the first layer on the wax paper. Spread frosting on the top of the first layer, and then add the second layer on top and frost top and sides of cake. Slip the waxed paper strips out from under the cake, and your dish is clean. Refrigerate the cake for 2 or 3 hours. serve slightly chilled.
- 10What To Expect: This was delicious! The frosting is to die for, and I cannot believe it is lowfat! The cake has a medium dense full-bodied texture. We liked it. Very satisfying. It was great with a cup of mocha or milk.
About Substitutes: Can you use Splenda? I have no idea. I have only made the recipe exactly as written, and for us it was sensational. If you do use Splenda with good results, please let us know!