Orange Glazed Coffee Cake
1 pkgactive dry yeast
1/4 cwarm water
1/2 cwarm milk
1/2 cfresh orange juice
1/2 cgranulated sugar
1/2 cricotta cheese
1 Tbspgrated orange zest
1 largeegg, lightly beaten
3 1/2 to 4 call purpose flour
glaze:1 lg. egg, lightly beaten
icing:1 cup powdered sugar
·1 to 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
How to Make Orange Glazed Coffee Cake
- In large bowl dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until foamy, 5 to 10 minutes. Stir the next 7 ingredients into the yeast mixture.
Using a heavy-duty mixer with paddle and set on low speed, beat 2 cups of the flour into the yeast mixture until a wet dough forms. Beat in the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until a stiff dough forms.
- Place dough on a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic- about 5 to 10 minute, adding more flour as needed to prevent sticking.
Place dough in a large greased bowl, turning to coat. Cover loosely with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Grease a 10-inch springform pan. Punch down the dough. Place on the floured surface again and knead for 1 to 2 minutes.
Divide dough into 3 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a 20 inch long rope. Brade the ropes together.
- Coil braided dough in the pan; tuck ends under. Cover loosely with the damp cloth and let rise for 30 minutes ,but not doubled.
Preheat oven to 425^.Brush the dough with the glaze of beaten egg. Bake until cake is golden brown , about 25-30 minutes. Turn the cake out onto a wire rack to cool slightly.
- Combine the icing ingredients together until smooth. Spread over warm cake. Serve warm of cold..Delicious.