Orange, Coconut Angel Food Cake
I have many cake recipes, but this one is one of my all time favorites.
Many, many times this cake has been tested and approved.
To make a lighter version, use fat free milk, sugar free pudding, light cool whip..I have done this before, and is still delicious.
Recipe from: Taste of Home
- 1 pkg
- (16 ounces) angel food cake mix
- 1 c
- cold water
- 1/3 c
- orange juice
- 2 tsp
- orange extract, divided
- 1 3/4 c
- 1 pkg
- (1 ounce) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 Tbsp
- grated orange peel
- 1 1/4 c
- flaked coconut, divided
- ( 8 ounce ) frozen whipped topping, thawed , divided
How to Make Orange, Coconut Angel Food Cake
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degree F.
- 2In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, water, orange juice and 1 teaspoon orange extract.
Beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan.
- 3Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until lightly browned and entire top appears dry. Immediately invert pan onto a wire rack; cool completely, about 1 hour. Run a knife around sides of cake and remove from pan.
- 4In a small bowl, whisk milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes. Stir in orange peel and remaining orange extract. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set. Fold in 3/4 cup coconut and 3/4 cup whipped topping.
- 5Split cake into three horizontal layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; top with half of the pudding mixture. Repeat layers. Top with remaining cake layer. Frost top and sides of cake with remaining whipped topping. Toast remaining coconut; sprinkle over top and sides of cake.
Store in the refrigerator.