Old Fashion Nut Cake
- 8 c
- walnuts or pecans (coarsely chopped)
- 3 1/2 c
- sifted all-purpose flour (sift before measuring)
- 2 tsp
- baking soda
- 1/2 tsp
- 3/4 c
- 1/4 c
- rum or brandy
- 1 1/2 c
- butter or margarine (softened)
- 2 c
- granulated sugar
- dry sherry wine
- confectioners sugar
How to Make Old Fashion Nut Cake
- 1Using solid vegetable shortening, lightly grease the inside of a 10 by 4 1/2 inch tube pan (without a removable bottom) Line the bottom of the pan with brown paper or waxed paper that has been cut to fit. Lightly grease paper with shortening.
- 2Put nuts into a large mixing bowl.
Sift flour, bsking powder, and salt over a piece of waxed paper and set aside.
- 3In a measuring cup, combine milk with rum or brandy and set aside.
Preheat oven to 275 F.
- 4In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar at medium speed until mixture is smooth and very light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition.
- 5Reduce speed to low; beat in flour mixture (in fourths), alternating with the milk mixture, beginning and ending with flour. Pour batter over nuts and mix well with a rubber spatula.
- 6Turn batter into prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake 2 1/2 hours, or until test done. Remove cake from oven and place on wire rack to cool 30 minutes.
- 7Turn cake out of pan; discard paper and place cake on a wire rack to cool completely. Pour the sherry over the baked cake then cover it with cheesecloth. Store cake in a cool place for several days to mellow. To serve, sprinkle with confectioners' sugar