★★★★★ 1 vote5
1 cbrown sugar, firmly packed
1 1/3 call purpose flour
1 tspbaking soda
1/4 cbutter, cold
3/4 cbrown sugar, firmly packed
1/4 ccream or canned milk
1 tspvanilla extract
1 ccoconut, shredded
3/4 cpecans, in pieces (optional)
How to Make Oatmeal Cake
- Soak 1 cup of quick oats in 1 1/4 cups of boiling water. Let stand for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 13 x 9 inch pan.
- Stir together the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon and set aside.
- Cream together the sugar, eggs, brown sugar and shortening with a mixer.
- Add the flour mixture to the creamed sugar mixture and blend well. Add oats and blend well.
- Pour into prepared baking pan and place in oven. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Place butter, brown sugar and cream in a saucepan and bring to a boil. When it boils and butter and brown sugar are melted, remove from the heat. Add vanilla, coconut and pecans and stir until well blended. Pour this over the hot or warm cake and spread evenly.
- Allow cake to cool. Cut serve and enjoy! *Pecans are optional.