Norma's Easy Easter Bonnet
- (15.25 ounce) box of super moist lemon cake mix for the top part of the cake.
- (18.25 ounce) box of strawberry surpreme cake mix for the bottom part of the cake.
- butter cream icing:
- 1/2 c
- solid vegetable shortening (i used crisco)
- 1/2 c
- (1/2 stick) butter or margarine at room temperature
- 1 tsp
- pure vanilla extract
- 4 c
- (approx. 1 lb.) sifted confectioners' sugar
- 2 Tbsp
- decoration: (i found all these at a craft store).
- 0.21 ounce box's of wilton icing leaves
- .53 ounce box's of wilton icing pink posies
- 16 ounce box of icing bunny decorations
- large ready made bow
- 21 inch ribbon of choice (cut to fit cake)
How to Make Norma's Easy Easter Bonnet
- 1Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Greese and flour a 14 inch round cake pan and a medium size oven proof bowl and set aside.
- 3Mix cake mix's according to directions and fill the round pan half full and the bowl about 2 inches from the rim. (you will have extra cake mix left) I made cup cakes with it.
- 4Place pan and bowl in oven on center rack and bake until golden brown or when a wooded toothpick pushed down in the center of cake comes out clean. (the round cake will be done before the cake in the bowl)
- 5Remove round cake from oven and place on a wire rack to completely cool. After testing cake in the bowl; remove from oven and place on wire rack to cool.
- 6When round cake is completely cool remove from pan onto a very large platter or a large piece of cardboard covered with foil.
- 7Meanwhile mix icing in mixing bowl until smooth and creamy.
- 8Cover round cake with a thin layer of icing and place the bowl cake in the center of it and cover with icing also.
- 9(Since I'm not good at making my icing smooth when covering cakes; I used a flower decorating tip to cover the cake. This to me is also an easy way to cover any cracks that may accure).
- 10Decorate as desired or use my pattern. HAPPY EASTER!