New York Style Cheese Cake
·1 cup plus 3 tablespoons all - purpose flour, 2 cups sugar, 2- 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest, 1/2 teaspoon real vanilla extract,, 3egg yolks, 1 stick unsalted butter, 2-1/2 lbs. cream cheese, softened,1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange zest,
·5 whole eggs, 1/4 cup of heavy cream.
How to Make New York Style Cheese Cake
- in o bowl combine 1cup of flour with 1 cup of sugar, 1 teaspoon of lemon zest, and 1/4 teaspoon of the vanilla. Form a well in the center and add 1 egg yolk and all of the butter. Work with a fork to make a dough.Form into a ball, cover with a plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hr.
- Preheat oven to 400 f. Butter the side and bottom of a 9 inch spring form pan.
- In the bowl of a mixer, combine the cream cheese, the remaining 1-1/3 cups sugar, 3 tablespoons of flour, 1-1/2 teaspoons of lemon zest, and all of the orange zest and beat well. Add the 5 whole eggs, the remaining 2 egg yolks, and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla and beat well. Add the heavy cream and beat well.
- Roll out one-third of the chilled dough on a floured surface, the dough will be very moist and fragile. Roll it out in pieces and evenly press them with your hands into the bottom of the prepared pan. Don't worry if it looks like it is going to fall apart.Bake until golden. Cool on wire rack.
- Roll out the remaining dough in pieces and evenly shape them to fit the sides of the pan one piece at a time. Make sure that there are no holes in the crust and try to keep the edges neat.
- Increase the oven temp. to 550 f. Pour the cream cheese mixture into the crust. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes. Reduce the heat to 200f and continue to bake for 1 hour. Turn off the heat and keep the oven door open wide. Let the cake cool in oven for 30 minutes.