MY WATERGATE CAKE
I was looking for a cool picnic cake, so here it is. i also make it for St. Paddys, Christmas and even Easter.
- 1 pkg
- white or yellow pudding cake mix
- 2 pkg
- lime jello
- 2 c
- boiling water
- 1 pkg
- instant pistachio pudding
- 1 c
- milk, whole or 2%
- 2 can(s)
- 8 oz. crushed pineapple, undrained [ optional]
- a drop of green food coloring [optional]
- 2 c
- cool whip
- 1 jar(s)
- 10 oz. maraschino cherries, halved and well drained. [optional]
How to Make MY WATERGATE CAKE
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees - Lightly spray a 9 x 13 pan with cooking spray.
- 2Prepare cake mix per package using whole eggs OR use your own homemade cake recipe.
Bake for approx. 30 minutes, check the center with a toothpick.
Remove from oven and go to next step.
- 3Sprinkle the lime Jellos into the boiling water, stirring at least 2 minutes until dissolved.
- 4With the end of a wooden spoon or a meat serving fork, punch holes into the cake every inch apart. [the more holes the better, can't hurt the cake, this way you can get more Jello into it, this is what makes the cake so moist.
Pour the hot Jello evenly all over the cake.
Refrigerate 4 hours, preferably overnight.
- 5After cake has properly cooled, make frosting:
Whisk pudding mix, milk and drop of food coloring until it gets very thick.
Stir in Cool Whip and the pineapple, until mixed in.
- 6Spread cake with frosting. Sprinkle the finely chopped walnuts.
Top with halved maraschino cherries.
Excellent for Christmas, potlucks, picnics,St. Patrick, Easter or most anytime....
- 8ALSO. I USE:
Sugar-free instant pudding, lite Cool Whip, 2% milk. possibly applesauce for the oil. Less calories. Better for diabetics. [I think Pillsbury carries a sugar or fat- free cake mxes.