Ms. Geraldine's Fresh Apple Cake
Blue Ribbon Recipe
This wonderful apple cake captures all the freshness of harvest season with its sweet, crisp flavors. Grab a cup of joe and enjoy! The Test Kitchen
1 1/4 cvegetable oil
2 cwhite sugar
1 tspbaking soda
3 call purpose flour
3 cpeeled chopped apples
1 cchopped pecans
2 tsppure vanilla extract
1 cbrown sugar, firmly packed
1 stickunsalted butter
1/4 chalf and half
1 tsppure vanilla extract
1 cpowdered sugar
1 cfinely chopped pecans
How to Make Ms. Geraldine's Fresh Apple Cake
- Sift together salt, baking soda and flour.
- In mixer bowl, blend oil and sugar well.
- Slowly add dry sifted ingredients into oil and sugar mixture. (Batter will be stiff at this point)
- Whisk eggs together lightly and add to batter.
- Reduce speed on mixer and stir nuts and vanilla into batter.
- gently stir in chopped apples
- Bake for 1 1/2 hours @250 degrees
- Bring brown sugar, butter and milk to a boil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat
Whisk constantly as it boils for 1 minute
Remove from heat
- Stir in Vanilla
- Gradually add in powdered sugar beating with hand mixer until smooth.
Mix gently for about 5 minutes until slightly thickened and cooled.