- 1 pkg
- (18.25oz) plain white cake mix
- 1 c
- sour cream
- 1/2 c
- canola oil
- 3 large
- 1 can(s)
- (16oz)pitted tart red cherries
- 1/2 c
- light corn syrup
- 1/4 c
- 2 1/2 Tbsp
- drops red food coloring
- 1 tsp
- pure almond extract
- 1/2 c
- 2 Tbsp
- 2 large
- egg whites
- 1 jar(s)
- (7oz)(1&1/2cups)marshmallow cream
How to Make Mount Vernon Cake
- 1Preheat oven to 350.Generously grease 3 - 9" cake pans,dust with flour
- 2Place cake ingredients in a mixer and mix on low 1 minute,scrape down sides,mix on medium 2 more minutes.
Divide the batter between the 3 cake pans.
Bake 20-22 minutes or until cake tests done.
Place the cakes(in pans) on a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes remove from pans and cool on wire racks.
About 30 minutes.
- 3Meanwhile; prepare the cherry filling.
Drain the cherries,reserving liquid. Pour the liquid into a measuring cup.Set the cherries and liquid aside.
Combine the corn syrup,sugar,and cornstarch in a small saucepan and stir.
Add enough water to the cherry juice to make 1 cup.
Add the cherry liquid and food coloring,if desired,to the saucepan.
Cook the mixture over medium heat until smooth,stirring constantly,until it is smooth and thickened,2-3 minutes.
Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the drained cherries and almond extract.
Pour the filling in a medium bowl and place,covered,in the refrigerator to chill while you make the frosting.
- 4To prepare the Marshmallow Frosting:
Place the sugar,water,and egg whites in a medium size heavy saucepan.
Cook over low heat,beating continuously with an electric hand mixer on high speed until soft peaks form,2-3 minutes.(IF YOUR HAND MIXER HAS A CORD KEEP IT AWAY FROM THE BURNER AND HANDLE OF PAN)
Remove from the heat.Add the marshmallow cream and beat with the mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form. 2 minutes more.
Use at once to frost the cake.
- 5Place 1 cake layer,right side up,on a serving platter.
Spread the top with 1/2 of the cherry filling, spreading it with a spatula to 1" of edge.
Place 2nd layer ,right side up,on top of the filling,spreading the remaining filling to within 1" of edge.
Top the 2 layers with the remaining cake layer,right side up,and spread the frosting on the top and sides of the cake with clean,smooth strokes.
- 6Store this cake in a cake saver in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. ( You can put toothpicks in the layers to keep in stable.)