Morganza Caramel Cake
Mary R Morris
- 1 box duncan hines devil's food cake mix
- 1 (12 oz) can of evaporated milk
- 3 cups of sugar
- 1 1/2 sticks of butter (real butter)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- walnuts or pecans for decortation ,optional
CARAMEL FROSTING AND FILLING
How to Make Morganza Caramel Cake
- 11-Make two (8 or 9 inch layers )according to package directions. Cool on wire racks.
- 22-Make Caramel frosting and filling ;In heavy sauce pan combine evaporated milk ,sugar ,and butter .Cook over medium heat untill mixture reaches soft-ball stage (237 degrees )on candy thermometer.Stir occasionally.If temperature does not get to soft-ball stage ,the icing will not set.
- 33-When mixture reaches correct temperture remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract.Using a WOODEN SPOON ,beat constantly untill mixture begans to thicken and cool slightly.If the frosting is too hot it will run off the sides of the cake .You can tell when it is of spreading consistency..
- 44-Spread caramel mixture between layers and over top and sides of cake .Garnish with nuts if desired..
- 5PERSONAL NOTE:::The best investement you can make is a candy thermometer.They are not that expensive and has saved me from messing up ...