Moravian Sugar Cake
1 pkgdry granulated yeast
1/2 clukewarm water
1 chot unseasoned mash potatoes
1 cgranulated sugar
4 Tbspsoft butter
·lots of butter and brown sugar
How to Make Moravian Sugar Cake
- Allow yeast to soak a few minutes in the lukewarm water. Add the sugar, butter, shortening, and salt to the mashed potatoes. Add the yeast mixture.
- Set aside and allow to rise in a warm place until spongy. Takes about 3-4 hours.
- Add the eggs and sufficient sifted flour (about 4 cups) to make a soft dough. Allow to rise until doubled in bulk. About 1 1/2-2 hours.
- Punch down on lightly floured board. Spread out evenly and thinly in greased flat pans. Make holes all over the top for pieces of butter and brown sugar...lots of both. Dust with cinnamon.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve hot or cold. Makes 2 9x13 pans. Rotate pans in oven every 5 minutes.
- THE RECIPE SAYS "WHEN "LIGHT" MAKES HOLES FOR PIECES OF BUTTER AND BROWN SUGAR". NOT SURE WHAT THAT MEANS SO I JUST PLACE IT LIKE I HAVE PUT EACH 4 ACROSS THE 9" SIDE AND 5 DOWN THE 13" SIDE. MAKING 20 HOLES.