Mom's Nut Roll
How to Make Mom's Nut Roll
- Add yeast to milk. Mix with 3 cups of the flour. Let stand for 1/2 hour. Add the remainder of the flour, eggs, sugar, butter,sour cream and salt. Knead until elastic (about 4 minutes). Let rise 2 hours until doubled in bulk.
- Heat the ingredients for the filling together, blend well and let cool.
- When dough is through rising, divide into 5 or 6 equal parts. Let rest on floured board for 15 minutes.(My Mom's recipe called for resting on powder sugar instead of flour)
- Roll out in long pieces, as if for jelly roll. Lay down your filling to cover dough completely and roll up.
- Put on greased cookie sheets, seam side down (2-3) per pan; tuck ends under to seal. Let rise again, about 25 minutes ( I used parchment paper sprayed with Crisco)
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- ADDED NOTE: Nuts should be very finely chopped. Best way to achieve this is by using a food processor. Don’t be afraid of putting on the filling THICK!