Mom's Amazing Pineapple Upside Down Cake
But... when I want something special I pull out this recipe and its worth the extra effort.
- 1/2 c
- 1 c
- brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 can(s)
- pineapple rings (drain and reserve juice)
- 1 jar(s)
- marachino cherries (small jar), well drained
- egg yolks, well beaten (reserved whites, used below)
- 1 c
- 5 Tbsp
- pineapple juice
- 1 c
- 1 tsp
- baking powder
- egg whites, stiffly beaten
How to Make Mom's Amazing Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- 2Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Set aside a moment.
In another mixing bowl, combine sugar and pineapple juice to egg yolks (well beaten) and mix well. Add flour and baking powder and mix well. Gently fold in egg whites (stiffly beaten). Carefully pour batter into iron skillet or cake pan with the pineapples and cherries being sure you do not displace the fruit. Bake at 325degrees for 40-45 minutes.
- 3Remove cake from oven and set on a wet towel. Take a butter knife and run it around the sides of the cake to loosen from pan. Let cake cool.
When cool turn upside down onto cake plate. Let sit for a minute and gently lift skillet from the cake. You may need to rearrange fruit if any sticks to bottom of pan.
This cake is so good I don't even use whipped cream with it but I guess you could. ENJOY!