Mom’s Carrot Cake
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 (12 oz.) can crushed pineapple - undrained
- 2½ cups shredded carrots (mom grated carrots with a box grater, but you could use a food processor)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ cup nuts (we had pecan trees so that’s what mom used; but walnuts would be good, too.)
- 2½ (8 oz.) pkgs. cream cheese softened
- ¾ cup real butter
- 1½ tsps. pure vanilla extract
- 6 cups confectioners' sugar
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
How to Make Mom’s Carrot Cake
- 1Preheat oven to 350º F. Grease and flour two 9: cake pans.
- 2Mix mayonnaise with sugar and eggs till all is well mixed and smooth. Add pineapple and carrots and stir till combined.
- 3Add dry ingredients and nuts. Stir gently till mixed. no beating or heavy mixing here...just get everything combined.
- 4Bake 350º F for 30 -35 minutes. Remove from oven and set on wire racks to cool for five minutes before removing from pans. Remove from pans and continue to cool until no longer warm.
- 5Gently place on cake plate and frost with cream cheese frosting.
- 6Prepare Cream Cheese Frosting:
With mixer, cream together cream cheese, butter and vanilla extract. Gradually, 1 cup at a time, beat in the confectioners' sugar until spreading consistency.
Sometimes I've used a little less than the 6 cups - sometimes more, but that's it.